Searching for ways to keep all the family happy and occupied over the coming summer weeks? Here are some simple, fun baking ideas to occupy all hands - both little and large.
A quick and easy bake to do with young children that they are guaranteed to love.
- Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan oven, gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll a sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry and cut it in half width ways so that you have two equal-sized rectangles.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of Bonne Maman conserve all over one half, place the other rectangle of pastry on top and press down.
- Cut the pastry width ways into strips of about 1/2 inch thick and twist each strip into a spiral.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with a little beaten egg or milk then sprinkle each straw lightly with sugar. When all the pastry strips are ready, bake in the oven for 10 minutes, turning halfway.
- Allow the jam straws to cool a little before eating as the jam will be extremely hot!
The above image is from our Russian 'Cigarettes' recipe.
Crispy Fruit Rolls
These are as fun to make as they are to eat and are the best use for day-old sliced bread.
- Cut the crusts off sliced bread and flatten the slices with a rolling pin.
- Spread thinly with butter or soft cheese and Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve then roll up each slice from the shortest end and press to seal the edge.
- Fry in hot oil for 2-3 minutes, turning, until golden and crispy.
- Roll in a mix of sugar and ground cinnamon and enjoy on their own while hot or with vanilla ice-cream.
Give your next batch of muffins a lovely surprise centre.
- Spoon half your mixture into baking cases.
- Add a teaspoon of Bonne Maman Conserve or Bonne Maman Salted Caramel.
- Top with the remaining mixture and bake.
Jam & Cheese ‘Sarnies’
For a special Sunday brunch treat, make these deliciously sweet and savoury ‘Sarnies’.
- Use Bonne Maman Black Cherry Conserve (or your favourite red fruit jam), soft cheese and 2-3 chocolate buttons, a spoonful of grated chocolate or chocolate chips for the filling.
- Dip the sandwiches in beaten egg and fry till golden on both sides.
If you've found this inspiring, why not share it?
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest